Total RP 2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Go down

Reputation Empty Reputation

Post  Malyk Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:45 pm

Hello,

My idea is to create a reputation system within the TRP2, maybe something similar to the almost forgotten GHR. I really liked this addon, but I didn't have the change to actually prove it in my roleplay.
I think it will be a impressive tool to create diferent groups or faccions among members of the same guild, or even create alliances between guilds (something like The Ashen Verdict).
Of course this feature will need a change in the items system to allow to create items to grant reputation.

This is more or less what I have in mind:

Reputation Kkev

Each faction have a leader and officers that can grant reputation. Each faction are in a group with a group leader that can create factions and can allow people to create factions in his own group.

I know it will be pretty hard to do something like this, but I would be glad to see something like it in the future.

Thanks for your time. Smile 

P.D: I'm sorry for any spelling errors, English isn't my mother tongue.

Malyk

Back to top Go down

Reputation Empty Re: Reputation

Post  Ellypse Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:24 am

Thank you for this suggestion, it is a nice idea. I will add it to my list.
However, some technical issues has to be thought carefully. Where is the reputation stored? If in player's TRP, what about cheats editing the SavedVariables files? If in a group leader's TRP, what happens if he is not connected when the player is gaining reputation? And how other players of that group are aware of a player's reputation.
Ellypse
Ellypse
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sagewind Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:43 pm

Hi there!
I was chatting with Malyk in-game and a thought came to my mind. What if the only person who stores reputation-related info is the actua leader of the faction? Let me explain:
Lets say A is the leader of a faction called "Crusaders".
When Crusaders is created, A creates all the information in his computer, with the members and the reputation that each of the members have. Each time the reputation changes (lets say for player B), the A sends an AddOn whisper to B giving him data of the new rep. stats.

That way, faction members can't change the reputation to cheat. Each faction could be controlled by an unique ID, like the items of the actual TRP 2.
I think AddOns like OQ and GroupCalendar use a similar system to this. How does this sound?

Sagewind

Back to top Go down

Post  Ellypse Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:01 pm

I understand, but my concern is what happens if the leader of the faction is not online for several weeks? If player B wants to increase its reputation? Should we let officer manage the reputation too? Then what if one officer is online at one moment, update the reputation for player B, then go offline, then an other officer come online and player B is updating its reputation again? It will start from the last value seen by this officer, and we cannot ask player B for sending us his reputation level and trusting that number.

Like I said, I really love the idea, but this touches the syncing domain, which is a technology really hard to implement and need to be fully thought before even starting a single line of code.
Ellypse
Ellypse
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sagewind Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:04 pm

Mmm, I didn't really think about it on that way. I'll keep thinking about it.
Keep up the good work!

Sagewind

Back to top Go down

Post  Ellypse Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:19 pm

This syncing problem is actually something I had in mind for a long time. Persistency of information is something that can't be done in WoW directly and needs to go through an other service. Some addons for the auction house have a separate app that downloads informations from a server and adds it to the add-on's .lua files. This workaround is working for a one way synchronization, I'm not sure about its reliability in a two way sync environment.

A few years ago, I wanted to make a web service for my realm to provide a complete list of all the players informations from that realm. It was basically uploading the totalRP2_Registre.lua file storing other players information and merging all of them in one totalRP2_Registre.lua file available for download to put in the WTF folder to replace the old one. The big issue was who has the latest information about a specific character? Total RP 2 is storing the date the player was added to the list but not the last time it was updated. And there would have been bigger issues if there was a way to determine which information is the latest : jerks. It's sad, but when you are asking people to send you information, you can be sure one day or an other, someone will mess around thinking its funny to upload players information modified to include funny words... Rolling Eyes 
Ellypse
Ellypse
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum